Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Starting Up Small to Grow Big

It's already more than a week since my last post, time sure flies by so fast when you're not paying attention to it. I'll just go ahead and confess that I got hit by a mood swing that made me lazy to do practically anything productive for all these days.

The final class at my college is just so damn boring even though it shouldn't have because it's about family business, which is something I have been interested to learn for quite a long time. The boredom kinda infected my thought process, so I totally slacked around for most of the time, while I'm fully aware that I shouldn't be like that at all.

Anyway so, uh, how are you guys doing?

Yeah... really sorry about that

But it was not entirely a life of sloth, I was actually learning something as well in some of those days which does not involve anything academic. My uncle, the one that's closest to me, came around a week ago to talk to me about a job that his in-law has, and he thought that I might be interested in it or at least I could learn something from there. His description of the job was a little vague, but at least it wasn't a part-time job on becoming a gigolo.

I don't want to work 24/7 due to the non-stop orders

Feeling that I could actually get something from this, I finally showed my uncle what I have been trying to work on all this time (this blog and my Youtube channel), and he was actually excited to see them and encouraged me to go meet his in-law to discuss more about it. Which I did, because I actually need some help over here.

The meeting went smoothly, we managed to be able to hold natural conversation about both his business and my work. He suggested that when you're just starting a project, you should be focusing on one or two things at first. This is in order to make it easier for you to manage your work, and it will create a brand that will make people recognize who you are.

Most start-up business failed to do so and tried to do multiple things right off the bat, which results in them not being able to keep-up with the vast competition, and people won't really recognize them as a brand. For instance, if you want to open up an online store for adult's clothing, you should make people recognize you as a trusted seller in adult's clothing first before you start to open up another line in adult's toys business.

What? Is there any other form of "adult's toys" out there?

Once you've decided what you should be focusing on, try to find the uniqueness that you're strong at. For example, emphasizing on services to gain more customer trust if it's a commercial business, or putting more effort in jokes and references if it's a content business. This factor goes to a personal level, because it is also important to find your own (poisitive) uniqueness and emphasize them in order to draw more people into your circle.

And then make connections in multiple medias, such as making a Facebook page or a Twitter account for your business brand. This is essential for quick advertisement, since in this era of information, we can no longer underestimate the power of social media. But of course, we need to make sure the steps that we take are not misguided. Joining up in forums related to your business would also be a good idea.

Just make sure you don't destroy your chances by posting dumb stuffs

These are the basics that I've learned just from one meeting. There are a lot of other things that I've learned after only two visits to his office as well, which I won't be able to share the whole lot of them here. I'll try to go back there tomorrow, and hopefully I will learn even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment