Tuesday, August 12, 2014

His Table was Ready

So there I was in the middle of writing another post, which is about a joke in milk advertisement (so you shouldn't be taking it too seriously). I checked my Facebook to see what's up around the world, since TV Newschannel here in Indonesia is pretty much useless by now, especially in the past two months.

I expected some reply from one of my best friend, whom I assumed to have dropped into a dead slumber during our chat session last night, or some unread messages since I actually dropped into a dead slumber last night. Or maybe there was an update from one of my favourite Youtuber, Mr Sark, which turned out to be true.

But I was greeted by another sad news, the death of one of the legendary comedian Robin Williams. He took his own life by asphyxiation, presumeably due to depression. So I decided to dedicate this one post for the good man, who had entertained the world for decades, and hope that his legacy lives on.

You've taught us that we can look awesome even in a dress

And to those who are still wondering why would he kill himself, please remember that he was also a human being, which means the basis of psychology applied to him as well; that funny people are usually the saddest. Name the funniest person you know in your life, chances are they're only a few words away from blowing their own brains out should their 'funny-guy' barrier goes down permanently.

That joker kid you know at school? His childhood might have been really terrible that he's making sure nobody knows by being funny. That co-worker whose behaviour is so silly you always laughed at him? He's making sure that's the one thing you can see and recognize from him, nothing more. That dork who writes jokes in social media that you love to read? He's probably feeling so screwed up inside that jokes are his anti-depressant drug.

"What about these two retarded individuals?"
"Who knows?"

Robin's death is a reminder to everyone that depression could even get the best of us at warding it away with oscar-award-winner level of comedy. So the next time your friend trying to bright up your day by being funny, try to stick with him and at least appreciate his efforts, it could be his lifeline.

Anyway, thank you for the fun times Robin, I've lost count on how many times I laughed watching your films, and I believe there are a lot of people out there feeling the same. The world has lost one of its greatest comedian. May you rest in peace.

See you later, old man

No comments:

Post a Comment